A theory of everything?
“String theory is an attempt at a deeper description of nature by thinking of an elementary particle not as a little point but as a little loop of vibrating string.”
The strangeness of quantum mechanics were explored by various physicists whom explained the quantum interactions in terms of exchanging ‘virtual’ particles. More subatomic particles emerged of the collisions of other particles. The standard model of particle physics emerges from the fundamental particles of nature according to their properties.
There is a search for the theory of everything – a theory that would unite all four fundamental forces of nature.
- A theory of everything is a suggested hypothesis for the unity of the fundamental forces.
- In the beginning of the universe, it is proposed that all four fundamental forces were united as one super force.
- The gravitational force was the first to separate.
- The nuclear force was separated at about 10^27K.
- At last the electromagnetic force and weak forces were separated.
Deep puzzles remain to be solved and a theory that would unite quantum mechanics with general relativity.
An idea of tiny vibrating strings that makes up our entire universe is quite remarkable. Think of the universe as it is made up of tiny strings of energy and not point like figures. Waves of vibrations found within the strings give rise to quantized behavior that is described as nature.
(String theory will be explained in the next entry.)
“If string theory is a mistake, it is not a trivial mistake. It is a deep mistake and therefore kind of worthy.”